Sunday, February 25, 2007

Prayer: Gift of Tears


Your hand, O Lord, is not too short to save nor is Your ear too dull to hear. Rather it is my iniquities (going my own way, doing things in my own strength) which create the barrier between us. My sin has hidden Your face from me so that You do not hear. You say that godly grief produces repentance and with it comes spiritual insight, and thus maturity. Grant me, O God the gift of tears. Stir up to remembrance in my heart and mind examples of men and women of faith from past generations who were filled with a reverential awe of You. You bring to mind Joseph when he said, How then could I do this great wickedness and sin against God?

May I, like Joseph, know that You are with me even when circumstances try to hinder that knowledge. May I seek to live a disciplined life in those areas where Joseph proved himself faithful to You: submission to authority, chastity, service, loyalty and leadership. May I allow my story to be shaped by sacred history, as well as by my relationship with You. Amen (Isaiah 59.1-2; 1 Maccabees 2.51,61; 2 Corinthians 7.10)

1 comment:

the blackwells said...

Really likin' the pics -- they're a nice addition. :)