Friday, April 6, 2007

Prayer: Stirrings of God


Ah, Lord God, may I let loose of my hold on earth, its cares, its worries, even its joys. I unclasp my hands and relax so the tide of Easter joy may come. I put aside all thought of the future and of the past to lay hold of the Easter blessing of spiritual life. May the cross be the center of time and eternity for me so that I may abide in the Life to which Christ's cross is the gateway.

Stir my Spirit, O Lord, and that of Your church. May the church universal be continually attentive to Your stirrings so we don't nod off into spiritual slumber, sedated by the "culture of Babylon". Fill us with Your Word. May your Spirit bring to remembrance all things. Your Word teaches us self-control, so we master all pleasures and desires. It trains us in courage so we may endure any suffering willingly. It instructs us in justice so in all our dealings we act impartially. It teaches piety so that with proper reverence we worship the only living God. May we remember our heritage in the faith, our spiritual roots, and how You have been present with us all throughout our pilgrimage. May these remembrances be a constant resource for keeping our direction clear and our forward movement steady during difficult times. You, O God, have not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of self-discipline...relying on the power of God, who saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace. Amen (Matthew 6.34; Ezra 1.5; 4 Maccabees 5.24-25; 2 Timothy 1.7,9)

No comments: