Monday, April 23, 2007

Prayer: A Stayed Concentration on God

Ah, Lord God, blessed be Your glorious Name, which is exalted above all glory and praise. Form in me a stayed concentration on You, so that I bring all the margins of my life under Your dominance alone and I live in the freedom only You can give. Union with You is my great overwhelming necessity. May I study to be quiet, for it is in a profusion of words that Your Spirit is driven out.

May I not act presumptuously, and stiffen my neck and refuse to obey Your commandments. May I be ever mindful of the wonders You perform for me and for my family. Thank You for being a gracious and merciful God, slow to anger, abounding in steadfast love when I lose my way. Thank You for choosing not to forsake me, but to give me your good Spirit to instruct me and provide for all my needs.

You, O Lord, made the earth by Your power and established the earth by Your wisdom, by Your understanding You stretched out the heavens. I place my trust in You and choose to abide in your love, mercy and grace. You, O Lord, are faithful. Show me how to encourage others to abide in Your love. I confess that I do a very poor job at times. May Your Spirit alert me quickly to those times when I let a profusion of words draw me away from You and quench Your Spirit's work in others. Amen (1 Thessalonians 4.11; Nehemiah 9.16-20; Jeremiah 51.15; Wisdom of Solomon 3.9; Hebrews 10.23-25)

No comments: