Friday, September 14, 2007

Prayer: Strife & Contention Arise

Ah, Lord God, may I gain the simplicity that is in Christ Jesus. May my vision be devoted to the Holy Spirit so I may perceive Your Will and be in alignment with Your will as I intercede. Open Your Word to grant me speech to pray for those of Your children around the world in harsh and difficult circumstances and not simply give up in discouragement and defeat.

I call to mind those in Darfur, the Republic of Congo, Liberia, Zimbabwe, Chad, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Nigeria, Niger, Mali, Malawi, Burundi, Rwanda, the Middle East, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, the Balkans, the Soviet Republics, Malaysia, North Korea, Central America, Venezuela...so many places, O Lord. I cry out in desperation with your prophet, Habakkuk: O Lord, how long will I cry for help and You will not listen? Or cry to you, 'Violence!" and You will not save? Why do You make me see wrongdoing and look at trouble? Destruction and violence are before me, strife and contention arise. So the law becomes slack and justice never prevails. The wicked surround the righteous, therefore judgment comes forth perverted...O Lord, You have marked them for judgment and You, O Rock, have established them for punishment. Your eyes are too pure to behold evil, and You cannot look on wrongdoing; why do You look on the treacherous, and are silent when the wicked swallow those who are more righteous than they? The enemy captures them all and rejoices and exults...is he to continue destroying nations without mercy?

Like Habakkuk I have so many questions. May my orientation be always toward You, O Lord God Almighty. May Your purposes prevail. Strengthen, O Lord, Your people. Strengthen, O Lord, this intercessor. May Your Holy Spirit bring to mind Your Word often throughout the day. May I remain steadfast in prayer and devotion for Your people. You are the King of kings, my everything, and I will adore You. Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty; may all power, wealth, strength, glory, honor, and blessing be Yours. Come quickly, Lord Jesus!

Psalm 89.1; Habakkuk 1; Acts 11.16, 23

No comments: