Friday, January 26, 2007

Prayer: Keeping Our Spirit-Life Calm

Ah, Lord God: Separation, calm, remaining unruffled, keeping our heart with all diligence...These are not mere suggestions, they are Your command. May we, like Hezekiah, trust in You will all our heart, hold fast to You, and not depart from following after You -- no matter how difficult the circumstance. May we experience true Spirit-filled discipleship. May we follow hard after You and not get caught up in doing something simply out of habit or rote memory.

I do confess that I look at today's headlines and become quite anxious in my thoughts and agitated in spirit. May I calm myself by coming to You, knowing You are not wringing Your hands over world affairs; in fact, You state that one day Your glory will fill the earth even as the waters fill the sea. I come to You and quiet my heart and mind so I may hear Your voice and choose to join You in Your activity in my small part of the world today. May I be a voice of hope and peace and love with all those whom I encounter. I am reminded of the Psalmist saying, I come to you like a weaned child...not because I need nourishment, but simply because I love You and want to be near Your loving presence. Amen. (Proverbs 4.23, 2 Kings 18:5-7, Isaiah 29.13, 2 Esdras 3.3, Romans 9.20-21, Psalm 131)

No comments: