Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Musing: Advent Adventures...

Having grown up in a denomination that did not celebrate Advent, I have learned as an adult to love the beauty of the season and to anticipate the coming of the Christ Child. This season is especially meaningful with the stories of so many dear people published in a personal Advent Devotional booklet. So many of the people who picked up a copy have said, "I know we are only supposed to read one devotional a day -- but I just couldn't help myself -- I read the entire booklet! I know too, that we are only supposed to take one, but I picked up some more to give to friends and family -- it is just too good not to share!" People who contributed a devotional story are telling me how blessed they have been when others come up to them and tell them how much they enjoyed reading their story and how they identified with it. It reminds me of the old song, It only takes a spark to get a fire going... or the scripture that says, How beautiful are the feet of them that spread the Good News. May we each share our stories this Advent season and keep the Fire going.

3 comments:

the blackwells said...

The little advent book that you sent to the boys has been good...they've really enjoyed that time each night (as you may have gathered when we were on the phone last night). :)

Hailey said...

I would like to include Advent in our traditions that we do as a family . . .lighting an Advent wreath. I think I need to do some research so I can make it happen next year. I loved hearing how your devotional has been so encouraging to so many.

the blackwells said...

Apparently an Advent candle is popular here in England. See this link from a friend's blog.
http://web.mac.com/grandduke/iWeb/Smell%20the20Roses/Susanne/D7D4169B-5261-4CE1-AC9E-A2E3C336136D.html

I think we'll have to get one of those next year.