Thursday, June 19, 2008

Second Prayer for Today: Prayer for Zimbabwe


Note: There are times when we are confronted with circumstances so dire, so overwhelming, that we do not know how to pray. Zimbabwe and its present and future circumstances are such for me. It is at those times that I ask the Holy Spirit to intercede on behalf of my heavy heart. Unfailingly, He gently leads me to God-breathed Scripture that eloquently articulates what I am struggling with at that moment. Is questioning a prayer? I believe it is. I also believe that God hears and answers in ways that we know not. Our job is to stay connected to the Spirit and continue to intercede, even in the midst of questions, dismay and overwhelming circumstances.


O Lord, how long shall I cry for help,

And You not hear?

Or cry to You, 'Violence!' and You will not save?

Why do You make me see iniquity,

And why do You idly look at wrong?

Destruction and violence are before me;

Strife and contention arise.

So the law is paralyzed,

And justice never goes forth.

for the wicked surround the righteous,

So justice goes forth perverted.


O Lord, see!
O Lord, hear!
O Lord, act!
May Your mighty right hand uphold our brothers and sisters of Zimbabwe.
Cover them with Your cloak of protection,
Even as a mother hen covers her chicks with her wing.
God save Zimbabwe!


Habakkuk 1.2-4

No comments: